chris French

In message , MGA
writes
Dear all,
as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15 by
5 centimetres,

not sure I'd call a bit of 6x2 a batten :-)

but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

Lots and lots of 'no more nails'.....? :-)

I can't just screw them because I can't find screws long enough. I've
thought about fixing thinner studs to the wall horizontally and them skew
nail the studs to them vertically. Another option would be to fix them using
some kind of metal brackets.

The metal brackets seems like the best option here, there are various
sorts of galvanized brackets used for framing, joists etc. one should be
suitable, and they aren't expensive. quicker than drilling big long
holes etc. even if you could find screws.

You'll see the sort of thing he

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardware/BuildersMetalwork/d170/sd2240

(Yup not worth posting a Screwfix link at the mo'......)
--
Chris French, Leeds