mark

In message , G&M
writes

If he hasn't finished the job he's hasn't kept to contract so you're under
no real obligation to pay him at all.

True enough.
He has actually done most of the work now.
I rang him in May to tell him I would like him there for July.
Rang him in the middle of June and he said he was going on holiday in
July and couldn't make it until he got back.
Fair enough, I asked him to ring me back when he returned.
Last week of July I'd heard nothing so I rang him up again.
(Ringing him normally took at least half a dozen calls leaving messages
with his wife, machine and children; he has only actually rang me back a
couple of times).
Said he'd be there to measure up etc.
No sign so I actually turn up at his home address which causes him much
annoyance !
Middle of August he finally shows up to measure.
End of August shows up to do some of the work over a weekend.
By this time we've done every scrap of work we can possibly do except
boxing in the non existent pipes etc.
All that's left is the actual bits and bobs of the boiler and swapping
the unvented cylinder for the right one (which is standing there next to
the wrong one; but that's another very long story).
We haven't seen him for over 3 weeks now and I'm back to leaving
messages etc.

--
mark