Eric Anderson

An 8" jointer would probably do it, but it is heavy, expensive and
large.

What about taking the motor and cutterhead of a 12" planer and turning
it upside down, putting a steel bed and fence on it? Would we not
have the jointer equivalent of the cast iron planer turned into the
stamped steel portable planer?

By the way, I often use the planer on rough sawn planks, as described
above, that are in good condition, but to be entirely kosher about it,
a planer turned upside down with a well formed stamped steel short bed
and fence seems like a possible way of going. Sure would not be the
nice, quiet machine that the present jointers are, however.

wrote in message . ..
On 29 Sep 2004 03:28:22 -0700,
(Eric Anderson)
wrote:

sounds like you should be shopping for an 8" jointer.