MikeG

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:17:38 -0400, MikeG
wrote:

In article , bill6dod6
says...
Please forgive me if I'm on the wrong Newsgroup with this question.

After polishing my oak dining room table it still leaves marks, a friend
tells me it could be the "Blooming" effect but knows nothing more.
Any ideas on how to clear it?

PS I've placed this on here because of the subject - Woodworking and just
thought someone could give me a lead.

Thanks

Blush is a whites haze in the finish. It is usually indicative of a
lacquer finish that has had a hot coffee cup left on it or a wet glass,
that sort of thing.

It is caused by moisture infiltrating the finish.

I believe that blush is something that occurs when finish is applied.
When solvent evaporates from the wet film finish, it lowers the
temperature at the surface of the wet film. If the surface
temperature falls below the dew point, moisture condenses on the film
and is adsorbed. The incompatible moisture is seen as blush.

For obvious reasons, blush is more apt to occur when there is high
humidity.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffe...oodworking.htm

Hi Wally

Blush is the whitish haze that appears in a finish. Either during
application, for the reasons you state, or, in the case of the OP, when
moisture infiltrates and existing finish. Regardless of how when it
appears blush is blush.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods