Charlie Self

Swingman reports:

I visited England for the first time in 30 years this past June and was
struck by how populated the countryside has become compared to when I lived
there in the 60's and 70's. It was really noticeable when flying over.

A portent of things to come in the less populated areas of the world today.
It's happening here in Texas to a startling degree also.

In Virginia, too. I moved to this area 28 years ago as of October 10 as a
geographical cure for a failed marriage. In that time, Bedford County has
changed from a rural, farming communit with a few homes for commuters to a
bedroom community for Lynchburg and Roanoke. Government size has increased more
than population, because the previous homeowners from outside the area were
primarily retirees, two adults, no kids. Now, we're seeing two adults, three
kids as closer to the norm, so there's a constant search for teachers, the
sheriff's department has increased in size a phenomenal amount (some of that is
empire building rather than need, as is the school situation, where county
schools cost about double what they do elsewhere so they can have prize winning
features such as mosaic floors in foyers).

But the most noticeable part is the traffic. Sheest! Winding, two lane country
roads are not fun with the kind of traffic that is moving over them now.

Charlie Self
"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the
well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and
vindicator only of her own." John Quincy Adams