On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:00:33 -0700, wrote:

I made a batch of vinegar-and-steel wool. I left the steel wool in the
vinegar until it completely dissolved, then ran it through a coffee
filter. tested a sample of walnut in it. it came out nice and black. a
through cut reveals that the color doesn't penetrate far though.

a question-
anybody played with pulling a vacuum on the vinegar/ steel wool
solution with the wood in it to get deeper penetration? it would
certainly increase the dry time and probably increase the likelihood
fo parts swelling/ warping to the point of unusability....