Gary DeWitt

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message hlink.net...
Bob writes:
I want to drill several 3/4" holes for bench dogs in a laminated workbench
top (prior to assembly) that will be 3 inches thick.

snip

A brace and a ships auger.

Lew

Hi, Lew.
what, if any, is the difference between a ships auger and any other
kind of auger? I found pictures of ship auger bits on EBay, the spiral
part (flute?) looks thicker along the bits cutting axis than some
others I've seen, is that the only difference? How about the tool that
drives it, the shank looks hexagonal. Will it fit in a brace and bit?
Tia.