PoP

Default IMM fodder

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:13:22 -0000, "Jerry."
wrote:

And that is why I have believed for a long time that there should be a
similar limit to the number of term a Prime Minister can hold office (not
the party, I hasten to add...!).

Another rule I would like to see is that either the decision to hold
an election is removed from the party in power, the terms are for a
set period like in the US, or the party in power has to set the next
election date within 3 months of taking office (hence giving at least
4 years notice).

The reason for doing that is to stop governments engineering the
election date to fall in line with their own electability. Too many
times over the years elections have been called to suit the party in
power and it sure would be nice if they had to go to the electorate on
a timescale which they couldn't fiddle with close to the time.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.