David

"John Fields" wrote in message =
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:45:48 GMT, "David"
wrote:
=20
=20
It is not uncommon for the DC resistance of a center tapped winding to
differ on each half. For the same number of turns, one half could have
more length of wire because that part of the winding is further from
the core piece and one turn uses more wire. A better way to test is to
put an AC signal on each half separately and see if the secondary gets
the same output.
=20
---
I disagree. Using EI laminations and winding the entire transformer on
the center leg, it makes nore sense, if only for the sake of economy,
to wind the CT primary bifilar and avoid using more wire than
necessary. After all, an extra ten feet per transformer is about two
miles of wire, 1000 transformers downstream. Putting down both halves
of the primary at the same time also saves time and tends to make both
halves of the primary look more alike than winding one half on top of
the other.=20
=20
--=20
John Fields

John,
That may be true, but this transformer may not have been wound with a =
bifilar primary. If bifilar I agree, if not, I stand by my original post =
and it should be tested by either measuring inductance or seeing if =
there is a difference in a secondary by feeding a signal into each half =
separately. I know a short on one side will affect both halves but a =
difference should still be seen.
David