PoP

Default IMM fodder

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:45:19 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

Well, you must be pretty young if you can't remember just how many
ordinary people's lives Thatcher and her pals ruined. Or, of course, very
rich.

I have a lot of respect for people who were affected by the coal and
steel industries shutting down in the UK. However, it is somewhat
unfortunate that those industries (and particularly the unions) were
unable to accept that change had to take place. You can't play a game
of King Canute on the sea shore commanding the waves to go back, but
that's essentially what the unions were up to.

The miners in particular got their cum-uppence because of the likes of
Scargill. I think Thatcher went way too far on the unions, but managed
to get away with it because the unions were not helping themselves by
using the general public as a battering ram.

Things like electricity strikes, rubbish piling up in the streets,
morgues filling with dead people awaiting burial, Green goddesses
attending fire incidents. Sooner or later Joe Public realises this has
to stop somewhere, and burying the unions was one way out. In burying
the trades unions it is very regrettable that some of our historically
sound industries were thumped out of existence.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.