mark

In message , IMM writes

That was written in the last 1800s. We now have computerised mass
production, so he is way off mark to many products of today. It is at times
cheaper to buy lower to mid range mass produced products, that are
expendable. Domestic fridges come to mind. If a compressor goes it is not
worth replacing the compressor, as it would cost more than a new fridge. A
new fridge can come with a 2 or 3 years guarantee too. You can pay silly
money for a fridge and have the compressor replaced when duff, but is it
worth it? Is it cost effective? Usually not.

The same applies to washing machines. Condensing tumble dryers have to be
decent quality as the seals have to prevent moisture from entering the room.
About the only case I can see of buying top range white goods.

In other goods it is worth going for the highest quality, but it not always
the case that paying more means better or it being cost effective.

What about the planet .......
--
mark