Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(Steve Firth) writes:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

But not by as much as one might expect. This 17" CRT consumes 60W,
similar sized LCDs are 40 to 50W...

Switching to LCDs saved having to install uprated aircon at a
call-handling centre where I do work on the network and software. I
think you're blagging a bit here, since the 15" Trinitrons I use are
rated at 240W and the 19" is rated at 350W. 40W for an LCD sounds about
right.

Saving 200W/monitor is on line with the calculations for the call
centre. 60W for your monitor sounds about right for standby.

I measure monitors for AirCon loading, and they're nothing like
the figures you have here. 20" monitors are just over 100W, and
they scale down proportionally. You can get around 15% variation
based on scan rate and image brightness too. Standby mode is
typically maximum of 10W, although some have multi-stage standby
and can go lower.

I haven't measured a flat panel display's power consumption so
I can't comment on those. I could measure one when I get my
true power meter back (currently loaned out).

--
Andrew Gabriel