anthony james

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message ...
Morning,

I want to put my PC in a cupboard to reduce the sound
impact of the fans.
Anyway, it piles out a lot of hot air, and currently has
ventilation on both sides of the case. I'm conscious that
if I put it in a cupboard it may overheat quite quickly, so
I'm looking for options to ventilate the cupboard.

I'm trying to do something similar at the moment. I've a 3.0 P4 in a
Shuttle XPC case in my kitchen that i want to keep in one of the base
units. My day 1 test involved running the PC at about 70% for half
hour or so (ripping MP3's, decoding digital TV and playing mp3s). The
temperatures shot up very quickly from around 50C to 65C but what
concerned me was that they didnt drop afterwards - a couple of hours
close to idle but circulating the same air and it wasnt cooling down
significantly. My guess is that you WILL need to ventilate the
cuboard. I've not worked out how to solve my own problems yet but
will watch this thread.

Re the glass front/IR issue - An IR repeater might be neater than a
glass front. Check Keene electronics.