Frank Z

Default Plastering onto steel

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:24:56 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Perforated plywood is good for this. Make a frame around the lintel and
cover it with the plywood. The perforations lets the plaster ooze through
and when it dries it grips like mad. It's just like an old lath and plaster
wall in a way..

Excellent tip - thanks. I came to a similar conclusion last night,
while mulling over Andrew's plasterboard coment. I was thinking to fix
a piece of 5mm cement fibreboard over the lintel - fixed to the wall
each side of the lintel - then plaster over that. Actually, I think I
may use the cement fibreboard rather than plywood, since I feel it
will be unlikely to shrink the way plywood might. Also, the bottom
edge will be close to a flame, so it needs to be something fire-proof.
Drilling holes in it is a very helpful tip. Thanks!

Frank