Andrew Heggie

Default Condensation in roof

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:02:09 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

Andrew wrote

On rolling back some of the insulation I see
that the outer leaf of bricks has been built up between each truss so
that it comes right up to the roofing felt. An even more effective
block to any ventilation. Is this normal practice?

No

Should I just remove these extra bricks and allow airflow through the
soffit vents?

Yes

I am still trying to understand this loft ventilation concept, my,
semi-detached, house is 1862 build, probably re roofed after a fire,
and the bedrooms have a 60cm ceiling sloping to the eaves, there
appears to be no ventilation at the eaves nor any where the joists
join the rafters, visible when I pull back the tatty nominal 2"
fiberglass insulation to expose the area of lath and plaster. Mind
there appears to be no condensation. I have been put off using celotex
between the rafters because of your comments that ventilation of the
cold space above the insulation should be to the outside. Prior to
that I thought an internal circulation would be adequate, albeit
slightly less energy conserving than a warm roof.

AJH