The Natural Philosopher

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

IMM wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

IMM wrote in message ...

No proof of this.

My experience in industry is that this has already happened. The chance of
engineers having a sound understanding of design and analysis has become
much worse in the last 10 years. Good people IME come from a relatively
small number of old established universities and polytechnics who still

have

rigorous and high teaching standards. A few come through on basic high
innate ability from the dross institutions. Contrary to IMM's beliefs, the
Oxbridge engineering graduates I've come across have all had outstanding
intellect and ability. Can't speak for the arts lot though.
I'll always hire the graduates who can think, sadly many can't.

How do you know they can think?

Is very simple. You give them a test, and watch what they do.

It's been done with monkeys, why not humans?

You put the banana under a flower pot, and see if they lift it up. This
is taken as evidence of the ability to imagine the unseen banana under
the flowerpot, and formulate a plan of action to get to it.

Applied to comp sci graduates from un snotty unis the usual response is
'thats not fair, you didn't tell us, and the government ought to tell
us, that its possible to put bananas under a flower pot', followed by a
claim for constructive dismissal and discrimination against the
terminally stupid.