The Natural Philosopher

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

Mike Mitchell wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:46:18 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Mike
Mitchell wrote:

If that is true, I salute Prescott for trying. But the cowboys
could be restrained very easily and quickly if only their
clients would withhold their money and not buy the cowboys'
shoddy products. When a few companies go out of business for
lack of customers, others will start to take note.

That requires (a) a freeing up of the planning system - greater
supply = greater choice; and (b) more discerning customers. It
seems to be generally accepted that houses sell on the
appearance of the kitchen and bathroom: almost no one cares
about issues of real quality.

That's because the British, being so isolated (psychologically as well
as geographically), simply are unaware of the kind of quality which is
taken for granted in much of Europe and beyond.

Conversely, muy sister purchased some 'cheap units' in germany when we
deicded to revamp my ageing mothers kitchen in 200. They are shabbier
than the worts B & Q trash, the plumbing fitments were non standard to
UK plumbing, and the worktops of inferior quality.

You CAN get good prices on decent stuff in teh UK, just not at the sheds
mostly.

you CAN get utter crap in Germany and France, that is if anything worse
than the UK.

My house, about twice the size of the Huf Haus, built by cowboys and
some decent carpenters in a very inneficient manner, still cost about
the same. It took nearly two years to do it, which is a disgrace and a
total reflection on the so called builder who started it, and my own
desire to finish it myself,prpoperly, slowly and carefully, after I
fired him.

its not so trendy, its very traditional, but its worth somewhere between
700k and a million.

I would not expect to sell that huf haus for more than 600k on that
plot. It probably does NOT represent value for money in resale terms,
tho the couple in it are obviously pleased with it, and it went up fast.

Time and time agian I have looked at getting structures prefabricated
elsewhere and installing them. In most cases it simply does not offer
any savings except in overall project timescales, agains two skilled
blokes chipping away and nailing.

The cost of the factory, saws, and the requirements to keep it loaded
raise the price of pre-fabbing to equal the two fully occupied self
employed blokes. I tried it with an ok prefab timber frame. Same price
or slightly more. I tried it with an oak styaricase. Same price, or
slightly more. Only winows and doors made sense. and the last time they
made the doors as well. Costing it out including fitting, against the
pre-fabbed ones - no ruddy difference again.