Charley

Think of it as the "router table from hell". It can do most of what a router
in a table can do plus many more heavy duty jobs. It uses cutters with a 1/2
or 3/4 inch hole in the middle instead of a 1/4 or 1/2 inch shaft like a
router bit, but it may also have an adapter available for it to allow it to
use router bits as well. Most shaper bits can be stacked in different
combinations to produce many different shapes with the same cutters. Shapers
aren't as popular as they once were, mostly due to the availability of large
routers and large router bits that can now make raised panels, but prior to
the availability of the big routers they were the cabinet shop's tool of
choice for making raised panels and cabinet doors. I still use, and in many
ways prefer, mine over routers for these bigger cut jobs.

--
Charley

All outgoing e-mail is scanned for
viruses by Norton Anti Virus 2004

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I came across this large tool at a store, the salespeople could only
speculate on what it does

It looks like these,
http://images.google.com/images?sour...&q=wood+shaper

If you often use one what have you made with it? Maybe I will return
to the store and educate them with your knowledge.