Hugo Nebula

Default Conservatory and Building regs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:53:18 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
stewart dunn randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

We built a conservatory in the summer of 2000-approx 10.3sqm.I asked the
local planning office and was told, not needed, planning permission.I
don't remember any conversations or applications for Building warrants.

So the question is-we are in Scotland,conservatory built in summer 2000,
Google says conservatories came under BR in 2002-do I need a building
warrant or a "Letter of Comfort"?. Gladly looking for some steer here.

I don't know much about Scottish B/Regs, but I do remember that the
limits on exemptions did change a couple of years ago from 30mē to 6mē
(2002 sounds right).

If you were in England or Wales, I would suggest that you write to
your local Council stating the size of your conservatory and its
construction (hopefully if you've googled, you'll know the general
criteria of what is or isn't an exempt conservatory), and when the
work commenced. In Scotland, presumably one does the same. Don't
expect a rapid reply though. Since one solicitor got his knuckles
rapped, they've been sending enquiries to local Councils by the
lorryload on any conceivable breach of Building Regulations.

I love the phrase 'letter of comfort'. Sounds like a euphemism for
the correspondence an inmate of a Texas gaol might get from a Death
Row groupie.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this