Ben

(Dan Cullimore) wrote in message om...
Ba r r y wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:33:24 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

(Ben) wrote in news:581ee38e.0409251825.621fa5a2
:

If you could only have four planes, which would they be? What brand?
Where would I go to find the best information in tuning and using them
(besides here)?

1 - a good block plane. In my experience, used (i.e. vintage Stanley)
block planes are pretty well used up, so I'd suggest a new Lie-Nielsen
or Lee Valley plane.

2 - a jack plane (#5). Lie-Nielsen if you have plenty of money, other
wise an older Stanley.

These two are useful for trimming & adjusting even if you decide to
stick with primarily power tool woodworking.

I would put a decent medium shoulder plane in front of the #5.

My own experience suggests that the shoulder plane is more often used
than and of my bench planes, as I use power tools for surfacing and
edging.

Barry

I find it interesting that no one has thought to ask the OP what sort
of woodworking he will be doing. So, Ben, what'll it be--cabinet
work, something with a lot of M&T joints, only Windsor chairs? Or
maybe you, too, are a well-rounded individual and plan on doing a
little of the lot? Your choice of planes would depend to some extent
on what you want to do.

I have a bunch of old Stanleys, and keep getting more. Haven't sprung
for the new high priced stuff. But I'm kinda cheap.

Dan

Dan

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the responses. Lots of good
info here, and I think I'm beginning to detect a pattern in the
to start.

The best question so far--and the info I should have included in my
original post--was what I intend to do. Basically, I try to build
furniture--the closer to Shaker or early American (Colonial?) style I
can get, the better, though I do venture off and build clocks and
boxes and shelves on occasion.

So what do I envision for me using planes? Well, I'd like to use
planes to smooth as much of a surface prior to sanding as possible
(what I'd *really* like to do is eliminate sanding as much as I can).
I don't think I'll be hogging out rough material in the near future,
though I see that as a potential.

Obviously, I'd want to trim slightly mismatched edges, dovetails, etc.
I'd also like to joint boards prior to glue-up. Down the road, I see
myself using planes for rabbets.

After several years of being a Normite, I find I'm drawn to the
Neanderthal side more and more. Maybe it's because I'm aging and am
getting at least as much process-oriented as goal-oriented. Maybe
it's because I like the idea of a challenge and therapy wrapped up in
one practice. Whatever. I should note that I'm going to be taking a
class in NH on doing handmade dovetails.

So if I interpret the responses correctly--and don't hesitate to
correct me if you think I'm going astray--my first four plane
purchases should be:

1. Lee Valley low angle block plane
2. Lee Valley #5.25 bench plane
3. Lee Valley #4.5 smoothing plane
4. Lee Valley #6 foreplane (for jointing)

I realize Lee Valley wasn't specifically designated, but it was
recommended several times, and I liked the looks and prices when I
checked the website.

Is there a significant different between a bench plane and a smoothing
plane, or can I buy either and substitute another plane, such as a
rabbeting plane or an apron plane?

And why only four? Because that's all my Xmas bonus will allow.
This time.

I know this is somewhat long-winded, so thanks for bearing with me.