bugbear

Bob wrote:
I want to drill several 3/4" holes for bench dogs in a laminated workbench
top (prior to assembly) that will be 3 inches thick. My preferred approach
would be my drill press with a 3/4" Forstner bit. The bits I have will
barely hand 2 1/2" depth. I need suggestions for the deeper hole. Right
now, I'm looking at buying a good old fashioned Brace and bit.

I'd create the 2 1/2 holes with your forstener, the
continue with a 3/4" auger in a brace. The brace and auger
should be obtinable "for cheap" at any flea market
or yard sale. Make sure the auger is in good shape.

The "normal" trick for high quality work with a brace
auger is to drill until the lead screw comes out on
the far side, and then re-enter the lead into this hole
from the other side.

In this way the "face" is cut cleanly but the nickers
at the edge of the auger, eliminating tearing
or splitting.

BugBear