Mike Gerdts

loutent wrote:
If you are using pipe clamps (which I do), I place
wax paper over them where the pipe may contact & stain the
wood.

I noticed this with my black pipes. This weekend I went out looking
for the extra clamps that made up enough to clamp a plant stand
together. In my searches I stopped by Rockler and found that they
sell zinc pipes that seem less likely to discolor the wood than the
black pipes. Sale price was $60 for 4 3/4" pipe clamps with 3' zinc
pipes.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10818

Rather interestingly, these cost the same as pony clamps and black
pipes from Home Depot, Menards, and Woodcraft. When I searched
the wreck for the Rockler clamps, they seemed to be liked just a
bit better than the traditional pipe clamps.

Mike