william_b_noble

the gear that failed was the gear reduction unit driven on the inside by the
motor (as I recall), with the metal shaft driving the chain sprocket - the
nylon gear would heat up and then lose it's grip on the shaft (the design
was just plain bad, no excuses possible). I was cutting full bar length,
but not stalling the motor or anything.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"william_b_noble" wrote: ( clip) All that ran and then failed had the

same
failure, a nylon gear stripped off the shaft. (clip)
Bill, this is deja vu all over again. As I recall, the plastic gear that
broke on your saws is actually the spocket that drives the chain. My
electric saw is very much like the ones that failed you, except that it

has
a steel drive sprocket. I have not had any problem.

So, my advice is: if you don't want to spend the big bucks for a Stihl or
Milwaukee electric saw, buy one of the cheaper ones, but make sure it has

steel drive sprocket.

I do envy you with an electric Stihl saw, though.