John Davies

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:06:51 -0600, Andy Hill
wrote:

So, did he refuse warranty service on the door or not? Absent proof that the
door was abused, the door section should be replaced under warranty (that's
assuming it *is* under warranty, although I've yet to see a decent door with
10yr warranty). Without seeing pictures, it's hard for any of us to guess at
the possible failure mode.

The door has a 1 year warranty - it has been 10 months since we moved
into the new house. The contractor was willing to "work with us" on
the insurance deductible, but he was not going to repair it under
warranty.

The door is 5 sections, and the lowest 4 (which have no lateral
bracing like the top section) have small double creases in the outside
center. It looks as itf the door has bowed, stretching the inner metal
skin and creasing the outer skin. The bow is small - maybe a couple of
inches - but it's detectible when the door is closed. When it is
hanging open the bow is larger and quite obvious.

My main complaints a

His attitude that I was trying to rip him off. His first statement was
"What did you do to it?" That is _really_ bad PR, and it immediately
put me on the defensive. I am 99.9% sure that the door has never been
hit hard enough to tweak the metal skin. Of course there is no way
anyone can be completely certain. My kids are young and don't play in
the driveway, and visitors and delivery people always park in the
street.

His statement that "we have never replaced a door like that that
wasn't hit". How many other owners has he used that excuse on?

I think the door is faulty and it has bowed under its own weight while
open.

Regardless, what is the point of a warranty if the dealer blows the
customer off? I totally agree with your statement that in the absence
of any sign of abuse, the door should be repaired under warranty.

John, still steamed by this

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450