Waldo2

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
No Spam wrote:

toller wrote:

It wasn't really an electrician who installed it, was it?

Everything about it is illegal everywhere. It has to be
impossible to connect to the genny without first disconnecting
the line, and visa versa.

It is illegal, unsafe, and, if the power co. finds it he's
likely to lose his service. Linemen have been killed by this.

You can't just say it's "illegal", the outlet itself (assuming
it's wired to code and with proper workmanship) is perfectly
legal. The homeowner backfeeding a generator into that outlet
is beyond the scope of all of that, it has nothing to do with
the safe, legal outlet on the guy's garage wall.

And as somebody else (original poster, I think) has mentioned,
that type of minor work may well fall outside of the need to
get permits and/or inspection in his jurisdiction, as many munis
permit some electrical/plumbing work to be done by homeowners.

Regardless, according to the OP this whole setup was apparently rigged
only to provide power from a portable generator to the house panel. As
such, the entire set up is not legal and is extremely dangerous. I find
it hard to believe that a licensed electrician would risk his lively
hood by installing something like this. Further, if I was the owner of
this home, and the contractor was the same one that wired it when it was
built, then I'd be greatly concerned about about the quality of the
wiring job hidden behind the walls.