Wayner

Nice idea, Bob. However, the scary thing about that idea is having the 1500
pound load skidding out on me and collapsing to the ground, pinning me there
with blood rushing out of my mouth. And my wife doesn't get home until 5.
lol
Seems to me we would be talking about one end on the barrels (which could
present a stability problem when boosted even higher) and the other end
being elevated further. At some point -- not too far up -- the barrels
will become super unstable and slide out OR the other end will do the same.
Either way the force on either the barrels or the temp wall will be
exagerated. So it seems to me the angle ratio will be quite steep and I'll
bet some physics laws come into play here.

Further comments..?

Wayne

Actually, what I think I'll do is make another pix of the site and post it
to a link, then share this with you. A 'visual' may be a better demo of my
situation.

**

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:

(Harry K) wrote in message

. com...

"Wayner" wrote in message

Thanks, Wayne. A crane would be nice, but ..nyet. You might have

determined
from my original post that I would like to accomplish this on the

relative
cheap. It will be afterall, only a shed and I have spent way too much

on it
in both building materials and time already. Me thinks the cost of

building
a new roof would be cheaper than hiring a crane. And building another

roof
ain't gonna happen as that would probably tip the scales of

cost/rewards.

Here's some more background: this whole exercise started when I wanted

remove an unsightly carport and nobody needed one. I had the "bright

idea"
to move it and frame it out into a shed or ?? So now it sits waiting

for my
decision.
What I need is a nifty diy plan with supplies at hand.

Wayner

Being a guy who has done all kind of things 'on the cheap' some that
worked, some that didn't, I don't think you will be able to accomplish
the mission. It is going to cost you money. You will have to rent
(or scrounge - not likely) the proper jacks, rent the scaffolding as
mentioned above, or at least scrounge a -lot- of dunnage.

As for building the walls with the roof above them: The procedure is
to raise the roof high enough to enable erecting the walls below them
then lowering the roof into place. It is possible to build the wall
into the roof while it is blocked up but it is a frustrating job,
basically you have to have your stringers supporting the roof
parrallel to, and a short distance away, from the wall you are
building.

Harry K

After asking myself 'what would I do?' I did come up with a possible
cheap way. You would need several strong guys and a few helpers.
Prop it up as high as you can without going to excess, lay strong
timbers at a slant up to the new wall plates, levers, pushing,
grunting, blocking to keep it from sliding back down, etc. Maybe a
couple come alongs over the top of the walls to pull with. My motto
always was 'if I can move it an inch, I can move it a mile given
enough time'. It doesn't have to be done all in one day.

Harry K

How about lifting it as high as you can (like I kind of remember it
already is sitting on steel barrels), and then lift one end up about 5
or 6 feet and build a temporary wall under it -- don't forget to add
diagonal braces! Jack the other end up to the desired 8 feet and build
a real wall under it -- don't forget the diagonal braces! Now jack the
first end up off the temporary wall, knock down the wall and build a
real wall. Frame the 2 sides and tie it all together and you're done.

Bob