--Ole--

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
The first thing which struck me as having a strong smell of stupid about
it was that the installer had mounted a four pole 30 amp female socket
on an inside garage wall and made my friend a 30 foot flexible cord with
a MALE plug on BOTH ends to use to connect his new generator to that
receptical. The ramifications of using male plug on the house end of
that cable hould be obvious to a blind man.
Jeff

Funny you mention this method.

In the Canadian Army Signals Corps, we used to use a double ended dong to
plug into local civilian AC power to fire up out HF radio teletype vehicles,
as opposes to running the generators.

Worked great; as always the drill was to have a very good ground regardless
of power source

did we know it was inheritantly unsafe.....yes. Did that stop us....no.

was it stupid.......yes.

cheers....Ole