Ba r r y

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:33:24 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

(Ben) wrote in news:581ee38e.0409251825.621fa5a2
:

If you could only have four planes, which would they be? What brand?
Where would I go to find the best information in tuning and using them
(besides here)?

1 - a good block plane. In my experience, used (i.e. vintage Stanley)
block planes are pretty well used up, so I'd suggest a new Lie-Nielsen
or Lee Valley plane.

2 - a jack plane (#5). Lie-Nielsen if you have plenty of money, other
wise an older Stanley.

These two are useful for trimming & adjusting even if you decide to
stick with primarily power tool woodworking.

I would put a decent medium shoulder plane in front of the #5.

My own experience suggests that the shoulder plane is more often used
than and of my bench planes, as I use power tools for surfacing and
edging.

Barry