James Waldby

Tom Robeson wrote:
"Gene T" ... wrote ...
I purchased a small cheap arbor press to use around the house for odd jobs.
I would like to make different inserts that would attach to the end of the
ram. What would be the best way to do this. I thought of boring a hole in
the end to accept the shank of the insert and tapping a small hole on the
side to insert a thumb screw to hold the insert in. Does that sound like a
decent idea or is there a better way?

I have done that at home and I have a variety of tools I use
in it. I have a 3/4" hole in my ram, and have welded several
different diameters of round stock (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4)across
the end of a piece of 3/4" bar like a "T", and use a 2" thick
urethane pad below. I then use this to form perfect aluminum
"U" shaped gussets out of sheet stock to join tubing for
airplane projects. Another neat use is to make a 6" long
or so knife die to make sharp bends in small pieces.

http://anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/pr...tail_hinge.htm
is another neat use too - using a press to roll the tube of a hinge
-jiw