Mark Johnson

"f/256" wrote in message
news

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...

Say I want to join a 3/4" high hardwood floor to a 1/4" high floor of
some other material. I would make a strip from oak thats 3/4" on one
side and 1/4" on the other. What tools would make this, I would like
various opinions. Also what is the angle the ramp should have? From
knowing the angle I could determine the width of the transition strip.

(snip)
Here is an example: if the width of the ramp is 2.5" and the boards are

3/4"
and 1/4" thick:

Angle = aTan ( 1 / [2 x 2.5] )
Angle = aTan ( 1 / 5 )
Angle = aTan ( 0.2 )
Angle = 11.3 degrees

(snip)
Guillermo

Note that this would give a strip that is sloped along the entire face,
leaving a slightly sharp angle at the high end. You might want to leave
1/2" or so that is still flat, so you can sand a smooth tranisition from
sloped to flat and reduce the chance of splintering.

You didn't mention in your post, but if this is for rental or public space
(anything other than private residence) in the US, you might be limited to a
max angle of about 26 deg to meet accessibility guidelines. It doesn't
sound like that should be a problem, but it would limit your min width to 1"
width of slope.

-MJ