Colbyt

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I have started installing 3/4 inch hardwood on a large scale for
customers, I can't get the exact transition strips from the flooring
suppliers. I thought of making my own since I have a workshop, though
not much knowledge since I am quite new to woodworking.

Say I want to join a 3/4" high hardwood floor to a 1/4" high floor of
some other material. I would make a strip from oak thats 3/4" on one
side and 1/4" on the other. What tools would make this, I would like
various opinions. Also what is the angle the ramp should have? From
knowing the angle I could determine the width of the transition strip.

I have limited experience with this. Your givens are 3/4 and 1/4. The
actual angle will be determined by the width of the board you use. Average
transitions strip is 2-3.5". Since a table saw is the most accurate method
I can think of to rip an angle like that, I would say the width of your
strip is determined by the maximum depth of cut of your table saw can
achieve at the given angle. Unless you find some one better at the math you
are just going to have to rip some scrap boards to figure this out. Off the
top of my head I would guess a 2" wide board ripped on edge at about 25-35
degrees will get you in the ballpark.

I will point out that in most installation I have seen it is quite common
for 3/4" quarter round to be used as the transition strip as a 3/4" step up
or down is not an issue.

Colbyt