Jeff Wisnia

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

Minnie Bannister wrote:

Simply unhooking wires from a splitter won't increase the signal
going to the remaining cable(s), especially if you don't replace
the unhooked cables by terminator caps.

FYI, that doesn't do anything to send more signal to the other
port, it just keeps it from radiating. A 2-way splitter is still
-3.5 dB on both legs, be they connected to cable, terminators, or
your Uncle Joe's wooden leg (non-conductive g).

The question is whether there is an adequate signal (both level
and quality) going into the splitter, so try replacing the
splitter by a coupler to just one of those cables and check the
picture on that TV.

Yep.

Did the picture quality suddenly take a nosedive? Splitters come
in various qualities: some are OK for regular TV (from an
antenna) but not for cable signals.

And some are for cable, but they're not full bandwidth. No
differnece in looks betwen one that only goes out to 300 MHz
or one that is good to 1 GHz, except for the fine print right
on the device which should tell you the specs.

Are your neighbors having the same problem?

When we had cable at our previous house we had multiple splits
with no problems.

Good advice. Troubleshoot = Isolate. Eliminate, swap, track
your results, follow the problem. It will eventually point to
the culprit.

I'll second that one! When we switched our Comcast cable service over to
"digital" to get more channels and features last year I had to toss out
the old Rat Shack 300 MHz distribution amplifier which had served us
well for over 15 years. The new 900 MHz amp only cost about $30 (again
at Rat Shack) and now Bob's your uncle, even though our house is wired
with only RG-59U cable, which was the standard when we built the place.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"