dgm

Default Condensation in roof

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Moodie wrote:
I belive that you would need to be very careful with the positioning of
the vents if you were just using tile vents. The use of high level
vents alone is not recommended apparently all still requires some form
of soffit ventialation to allow a flow of air in the structure.

Yes - however removing insulation etc from round the soffits would IMHO
allow enough air in, in combination with high level vents, unless the
soffits were otherwise sealed. I've also seen tile vents fitted at the
bottom and top of some roofs.

I wouldn't be totally convinced that just removing insulation from the
soffits would be sufficient without any additional soffit vents. My
understanding of the situation is that you require a greater vent area
at the bottom of the roof than at the top, and I'm not sure that this
would achive it. My soffits are not particularly well sealed but there
was still some signs of condensation before I fitted soffit vents.

With regard to tile vents at top and bottom of the roof, this is
something I'll be discussiing with building control, as I intend to
convert the loft at some point and I would prefer this option rather
than the 25mm continous gap at soffits that is apparently the
standard.

cheers

David