Steve B.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:47:40 GMT, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

When I was in college, one place I rented had a gas heater that heated a
vertical gas grill about a foot high and 18" wide. There were heat
exchanger fins above that. The grill would glow bright red and put out
a lot of heat, and the heat exchanger would scavenge what was left over.
I have never seen anything like it since. It put out as much heat as a
wood stove.

I had one of those myself once upon a time. Nothing like coming in
from a freezing winter day and sitting with that monster. Back in '94
we had a huge snowstorm that knocked the power out for days. My
neighbors were out pulling up their wooden fence to burn for heat
while we were comfy in the house. Sure miss the old timey simple
things that just worked.

To the OP. Since you already have gas in the house look for a gas
burning wall unit if you have space for it. You can get nonvented or
vented and they both do a pretty good job though I prefer the vented
because I am scared of possible carbon monoxide. These will also work
without power so that gives you a source of heat in an emergency
situation as well.

Steve B.