willshak

LARRY THE CABLE GUY wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:09:14 GMT, "Sunflower"
wrote:

"Daniel L. Belton" wrote in message
. ..

I have moved into a house that has the backyard fenced with a 4 foot
chain link fence.

I wish to find a cost effecient method of raising the height to 6 feet
to keep my dogs in.

I wish to hear any and all suggestions as to how this can be done
without tearing out the whole fence and replacing it with a new one.

Thanks...

An electric wire run around the bottom of the fence will keep the dogs in
just fine. It's what our Humane Society routinely recommends to adoptors of
escape artist dogs. It's no more "dangerous" to dogs or people than is
touching your tongue to a battery. You can purchase everything you need at
the agricultural co-op for about $50.

I dont think a hot wire around the bottom will keep the dogs from
taking a running flying leap over a 4 ft. fence. But, they do work
great for diggers. All I can think of his if you can find post that
fit inside the fence post or some how weld extensionsting post and
just buy more 4 ft. chainlink and double up.

My neighbor just got a dog in the spring of last year. I have had a dog
for the 20 years that I have lived here. I currently have a Female
Golden Retriever (10 YO) and my neighbor also got a FGR.
My GR is never loose, she goes out 3 or 4 times a day and is on a dog
run, a 75' cable that runs from the house to a tree. My neighbor was
having a problem with his pup coming on to my property and planting more
'land mines', in addition to the three or four a day that my dog
planted. He has young children and they would take the dog out with them
and naturally, not watch the dog after that. He had the electric 'fence'
installed on his property last fall and it was installed some 10 feet
from the line between his property and mine. This year, his dog would
not not come within 10 feet of the electric fence, but would stand off
and bark.