Elmo wrote in message ...
Don wrote:

(snip)

Where is the thermostat located? Is it in the warm area or the cool
area?

Good thought. If the OP spends the most time in his living area, could
make sense to move the thermostat there.

Given that my home sounds similar to the OP's, and I have similar
problems, I have a question:

Would it be possible to have two thermostats in my home,
which could supply one average reading that would trigger my HVAC
system?

BTW, my thermostat is in the middle of the hallway where the bedrooms
are.

Is there something about the cool area that makes it loose heat
faster than the warm area (more windows, uninsulated door, etc.)

Given that my home sound similar, I'll bet part of the problem is more
windows, proximity of heat-producing kitchen appliances such as
fridge, stove, and dishwasher, and air leaking through the chimney.
And in my case, the living area is just so dang big that it's harder
to heat or cool, compared to the bedrooms, which are smaller.

or does
the heat simply not get to the cool area?

In my case, the heat gets to the living area, but it's never as warm
as in the bedrooms. In summer, the situation is reversed, except it's
worse: hot living area, cool bedrooms.

Hope nobody minds me interjecting my situation in my home. The OP's
situation sounds so similar to mine that my experience may be relevant
and/or I can learn something along with the OP from you other posters.