Mike Mitchell

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:48:00 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

Even the traditional skilled manual occupations are becoming much more
technical. Most of the construction of that Huf House wasn't what we would
traditionally call building, it was precision fabrication and assembly, not
the sort of work that can be carried out by the average British gibbon with
NVQ Level 1 in Pushing A Wheelbarrow.

I don't agree. The precision is all in the factory, like Ikea
flat-pack furniture. British workers erect skyscrapers and other very
complex buildings all the time. That crane driver, for example, had a
very responsible job and I thought the cooperation between him and the
Germans was excellent.

MM