Tallgrass

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
Don wrote:
I have a 1700 square foot house on a crawl space foundation with the
bedrooms on one end of the house and a living room/dining room/kitchen
on the other. I have propane water and heat.

To make a long story short the living room/dining room/kitchen area
stays colder than the rest of the house. I have had the system looked
at and it is working fine.

Yea, it is working fine. However was it properly sized, with a properly
designed distribution system and installed properly? The answer is NO. If
it was you would not have part of the house too cold!

You need to get a real tech in to look at the home and do the "Manuals"
needed to find out what you need. You can not fix the problem with a
bandaid.

This is exactly the problem my parents' house has, and has had for the
last 37 years. Not sure about the furnace being the wrong size, but
the original AC did have to be replaced, and we were told it was
indeed too small for the job.

My folks' place is a tri-level, and the heat goes right up the center
stairwells. Closing off the bedrooms and the vents to these rooms has
helped push some of the warm air toward the kitchen.

Also, keeping the garage door closed helps immensely, as it faces
North and the garage is adjacent to the dining room. Additionally,
stacking bales of straw along the outer walls of the kitchen and
dining room help. A space heater has been the ultimate solution,
if/when the oven is not being used.

Hopefully needless to say.....the flu to the fireplace Must be closed
when the fireplace is not in use. Makes a Huge difference in the
temperature of the house.

Regarding woodburners....I was told, just this last summer, that to
put a woodstove into my polebarn would necessitate a *triple*
insulated chimney, much more than what is required of a standard gas
furnace. Big bucks, I was also told, altho I am not that sure that
this contractor really wanted to do the job in the first place.

Assuming your place is adequately insulated, I would look for
additional sources of heat loss. You are using a huge amount of gas.

ymmv...
Linda H.