Charles Spitzer

"Jim Key" wrote in message
om...
I moved back to hurricane country (New Orleans) after 18 years in
tornado country (Atlanta) and built a "glass" house. At least it
looks that way when I think about boarding up.

A new thought for kicking around. Cut the plywood to fit the window.
Drill holes in the plywood every 18 - 24". Use cartop type suction
cups (3") secured with 1/4" bolts. Water the cups and press hard.
This spaces the wood away from the window about an inch - could be
farther with spacers - and would transfer the blows somewhat evenly
across the glass. To remove, unscrew the bolts and tip the suction
cups.

How crazy is this?

pretty crazy. the reason for the bolts in the framing of the house (through
the stucco) is to transmit the force to something other than the glass. your
suction cups don't do that. with a direct hit, you'll have a punched out
window your way.

I would rather not drill holes in the stucco all over my new house.

Jim Key

"Jimmie" wrote in message

om...
"orangetrader" wrote in message
OK may be this is a little late for Frances, but a few questions:

Single story house in Miami, CBS construction, single slab foundation

on
piles, awning windows.

(1) What is the best way to install plywood over the windows? Should

cover the window and then drill in Tapcon to attach to the walls at

the
corners? or is it better to use mansory anchors, and then drill holes

on
the
wood, fit over and fasten with nuts? This way I can reuse the anchors

next
time. Plywood cannot be used once they get wet.

(2) Is it better to fit one big sheet over large windows, or fit a few
narrower strips vertically? I saw someone cut into strips and

installed
them separately, wonder why other than it's easier to install (lighter
weight), assuming the same number of screws of course.

(3) Have two rear windows with burglar casing, what is the best way to
protect those? Plywood won't fit over.

(4) If the window is 48" high X 36" wide, and the plywood is 60"x80",

would
you cover it horizontally, vertically, or cut to smaller size to fit?

Which
will give best protection?

Thanks in advance,

Only pro advice I have heard is to use 3/4 inch wood and space the

screws no
further than 16 inches. Have your ply wood stowed away labeled for which
window it fits with screws started. If you have to go to the home depot

you
are too late.