Owain

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

"IMM" wrote
| "Andy Hall" wrote
| Also the political correctness of having a target of 50% of the
| population "going to a university".
| Political correctness has nothing to do with it. The country is
| turning to a high tech economy. The government has to prepare for
| this. So the other 50%, if it ever gets that high, who do not go
| to higher education shall be involved in the basic skills we all
| know and need. That 50% is a lot of people.

But I don't see how someone who gets GCSE Reading and Writing and then
spends 3 years reading for BA Sociology With Macrame is being prepared for
either a high tech economy or essential basic skills.

Even the traditional skilled manual occupations are becoming much more
technical. Most of the construction of that Huf House wasn't what we would
traditionally call building, it was precision fabrication and assembly, not
the sort of work that can be carried out by the average British gibbon with
NVQ Level 1 in Pushing A Wheelbarrow.

Owain