zxcvbob

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , zxcvbob wrote:

Wayne Whitney wrote:

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals?

I believe I've figured this one out--since the circuit will require
GFCI protection, using a shared neutral would require an expensive
240V/120V GFCI breaker. So to use 120V GFCIs, I'll have to use
separate neutrals.

Cheers, Wayne

You would not necessarily *have to* use separate neutrals. You could
use separate GFCI's.

Not on a 240/120 circuit, you can't. Doesn't work.

It can if you do it right. It won't work if you need a GFCI protected
240V device. Otherwise, you can even mix 240V unprotected outlets and
120V GFCI outlets and 120V-outlets-connected-to-the-GFCI-load-screws,
all on one edison circuit. (it may not meet local codes to mix 120V and
240V outlets on a branch circuit, but that's not the point.)

As long as the only return path for the hot LOAD wire of a GFCI is back
to the neutral LOAD screw of the same device, it will work. The GFCI
will not even know it is sharing a neutral LINE wire.

Bob