TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Reply below ----- I only run EMT on HVAC systems and a electricians here maybe
able to answer better.

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'd like to add some receptacles in my unfinished basement for using
the space as a workshop, and my understanding is that I need to use
conduit. I'm comfortable wiring circuits using NMB cable, but this
will be my first time using conduit, so I have several questions.

1) My default idea is to use EMT, but there seems to be a confusing
number of different types of raceways. Can anyone point me to a
good overview of them?

I think you confussing me here now. I only know of 2 types of races ways. 1)
Indy 500 Race Way 2) Electrical Race way. A Race Way is a shelf made for wires
or conduit, covered electric route for wires , or a bunch of wires in conduit
run together to be neat and look good. I really only know one type of race way
as far as you looking up the conduit verses the wires to put in it or the rating
of the wire. Now you can have the wires out of coduit or in conduit in a race
way but you just rate the wire in free air or in conduit and the race ways it
just the holder for the conduit or the wire.

Just rate and figure everything in EMT and forget the race way thought.

2) My understanding is that is acceptable to use EMT as the equipment
ground, but is it still a good idea to run a separate EGC? If I do
so, I assume that I should bond every box to the EGC. Does it
matter if the EGC is bare or green?

In a residentiual job like your. The Ground can be green or the Nake ground can
be used.
I don't know of any requirement to tie the ground to the EMT but let the EMT be
it's own grounds. I don't know about using the EMT as the ground but in
commercial it is a NO NO. I don't think I would do that.

3) The wall is concrete for the first 4' and then a wood stud cripple
wall covered in 1/2" sheer paneling. I don't have any experience
fastening to concrete, what is the best way to go? It would be
easier to attach to the sheer paneling, but I expect 4.5' is too
high to be convenient for receptacles.

Get you a box of Wall Ackor set and drill hole in concrete with the bit supplied
with it and put in a wall ankor and the clamp it with a screw [ supplied with
the kit ] to put a EMT wall clamp to hold the EMT. This is not a big deal at all
and a wall ankor kits cost about $6.00 for a 100 Ankors, 100 screws, and one
drill bit for concrete. You can put the EMT where ever you want with the kit and
conduit.

4) I'd like to run two 120V circuits. What are the pros and cons of
having them share a neutral versus having separate neutrals? One
appealing option is to use two duplex receptacles in each box, each
fed from a different leg. I believe this requires a double pole
breaker?

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Everything [ receptical wise ] that is tied to 1 -- single 120 volt service
breaker can share the Hot , Neutral, and ground.

You don't need a double pole breaker for anything here.

Thanks, Wayne

Now you have left out here the most important thing of all. What are you wanting
to run or plug into these receptical and what will be the amp draw of them? Do
you want 2 circuits with 2 breakers or all on one circuit ? You head of the game
here by doing the wiring and have no ideal of what it will need as wire or
conduit needed. Alway tell or know what you want to supply with power before
running power to it and then finmd out you don't have the circuit big enough to
supply the load. Let us know what you want to power up before wiring begins.

TURTLE