derek

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:51:24 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Also the political correctness of having a target of 50% of the
population "going to a university".

Political correctness has nothing to do with it. The country is turning to
a high tech economy.

Exactly which "High Tech" is that?

I warned my son in 1990 that if he went to Uni to study "Computer
Science" it may no longer be the flavour of the month by the time he
hit the job market. He stayed on to do a PHD and left Uni in 1996. He
did get a job and is reasonably well paid at the mo, but the rope
bridge is collapsing behind him. Both he and his fiance (also in IT)
would not be able to get another job in IT if they had to.

In the '90s they were telling us the next tech boom after IT would be
biotechnology what happened to that?

The government has to prepare for this.

You sound like Harodl Wislon in 1963, that was all bull**** as well,
the Computer mainframe industry, the car industry, the steel industry,
the jet engine industry, and the rest were just on the point of going
down the gurgler. The country sold out it's electronics industry to
the Chinese/Taiwanese/Koreans at the earliest oportunity.

So the other
50%, if it ever gets that high, who do not go to higher education shall be
involved in the basic skills we all know and need. That 50% is a lot of
people.

??

Expanding numbers up to 50% in HE can only be done on a lowest common
denominator principal.

DG