John Willis

On 20 Sep 2004 19:10:15 GMT, (Greg) scribbled this
interesting note:

I don't know anyonme who actually saw a dime from a shingle warranty.
Responsible roofing companies have come through but the homeowner usually
doesn't get much from the manufacturer.

I do.

A couple of decades ago GAF had some issues with the manufacture of
their shingles. Without fail, whenever we recommended to our customers
that they should contact GAF for warranty service, it was honored.

This is a good recommendation for GAF, in my opinion. Other shingle
manufacturers aren't so happy when their shingles fail and usually try
to find any other minor item to blame the failure on instead of owning
up to the fact that they manufactured a defective product that
wouldn't perform as the warranty claimed.

Remember, the warranty from the manufacturer only covers the cost of
the materials, pro-rated for the length of service the customer
received, so the actual amount you may recover in any warranty service
will most likely be small since in asphalt composition roof shingles
manufacturing defect usually show up only in the last few years of the
warranty.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)