Joe C

"JB" wrote in message
I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the
foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a
have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My
neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their
way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but
would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that
would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Use this method and distance won't matter.

Trap using the have a heart trap
transfer to cardboard box to release location
put a couple of mothballs in the box for them to play with
release wherever you'd like.

Worked for me.