Julian Fowler

Default Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:20:50 -0000, "G&M" wrote:

"Julian Fowler" wrote in message However,
it should be evident to all but the
It is a little more involved than that, I think. At some point we, as
a society, need to come to grips with prejudices that affect the
accessibility issue - for example, the attriude of some lower-income
parents that tertiary information isn't "for their sort of people",
schools and teachers that discourage pupils from applying to certain
universities for reasons of reverse snobbery, etc.

Not sure that's common. Even the poorest of schools are proud when they get
students into Oxbridge.

Some are. some aren't ... I have first hand knowledge, though, of
teachers who have advised pupils not to even think about applying to
Oxbridge because of the perceived "elitism" of those institutions.

Julian

--
Julian Fowler