Joseph Meehan

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:20:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Peder wrote:
Greetings. I know a torch would be best for this job, but the problem
joint is a sillcock very badly positioned for a torch. Is is very close
the floor joist and the floor above (about 1" max for both) and recessed
far from the inside wall which is a full 2x4 stud wall inside a concrete
foundation. I would almost have to hold the torch by the very bottom of
the bottle to reach it. I worry even about turning this over to a pro,
but
winter's coming and now the sillcock is just capped off at the spigot.
What are my options here? Thanks for reading.

1. If your worry is about the wood overheating and catching fire,
don't
worry. I may get hot, it may even catch fire, but if you are ready with
little water to put it out after you finish the joint, you will find that
you only charred a small amount of wood. It takes a long time to
structurally effect a 2x4 with fire. Soaking the wood before hand will
eliminate most of the problem.

I personally know of two cases in older homes where it was the paper
backing on ancient insulation up inside the wall that caught fire. That
situation can be very difficult to deal with. In both cases, the homeowner
had quick access to a garden hose, but was unable to do anything other
than
slow the spread a little while waiting for the F.D.

BB

All three of you have noted some good points. My suggestion should not
have been offered when I don't know the ability of the user. While I
personally would feel safe, unless I observed a potential hazard I could not
mitigate, I should not have assumed someone else would recognized the
additional hazards noted.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math