Joseph Meehan

Peder wrote:
Greetings. I know a torch would be best for this job, but the problem
joint is a sillcock very badly positioned for a torch. Is is very close
the floor joist and the floor above (about 1" max for both) and recessed
far from the inside wall which is a full 2x4 stud wall inside a concrete
foundation. I would almost have to hold the torch by the very bottom of
the bottle to reach it. I worry even about turning this over to a pro,
but
winter's coming and now the sillcock is just capped off at the spigot.
What are my options here? Thanks for reading.

1. If your worry is about the wood overheating and catching fire, don't
worry. I may get hot, it may even catch fire, but if you are ready with a
little water to put it out after you finish the joint, you will find that
you only charred a small amount of wood. It takes a long time to
structurally effect a 2x4 with fire. Soaking the wood before hand will
eliminate most of the problem.

"Blankets" are made to protect what you don't want to get hot. And
despite some peoples experience I have seen them in the Big box stores.
Maybe not all of them all the time.

Another approach that might work would be to cut the pipe off in a more
accessible location and build the parts that are not now assessable and then
you will only need to solder the one last fitting and it will be easier to
get to.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan