Charlie Self

Marton Czebe asks:

I bumped into a problem this weekend. I needed a straight fence of
above 2.3 metres in length to do some edge routing. I couldn't find
anything in my small and basic shop that I knew was TRULY straight
across this length. (found some particleboard scraps about 2 metres,
but as I sighted down the long edge, I could see some dents, as well
as a small curve in it.

What do you people use as a reference straight edge? (preferably
something that stays straight for a while...iron, aluminium?)

Usually, wood, but it tends to require some preparation as most commercial
boards aren't straight enough.

Failing that, iron or aluminum is useful. Aluminum is more easily dented, but
is easier to handle. Some say angle iron (or aluminum), but I tend to prefer
bar stock, as there's less likelihood of the angle piece interfering with
whatever you're trying to do (by catching on a low handle or a cord).

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal