L. Fiar

"Leonard Martin" wrote in message

We consumers used to hit the offending radio or tv all the time back
in the tube days. After all, if it was "just a loose wire" we wouldn't
have to call the repairman for an expensive housecall.

TV rental engineers have been known to do similar things. As there was
no money being charged for the repair of rented equipment, speed was
everything.

First of all, know the customer. Before entering, look up and check
the antenna is not a shiny new one. On rough council estate, you
can be pretty damn sure that the customer will not spend the money
on having a new one erected.

Once in the house, try to use a "quick fix". If an intermittent fault,
bang the set. If that cures it,tell them "It works now, Madam", and walk
out.
For other faults, and this is why you looked at the antenna, blame the
antenna and walk back out.

I once saw the antenna trick in action. A customer was suffering with
flyback lines across the top of the screen, well down into the picture.
The engineer walked in, took one look at the screen, "it's your aerial,
Madam", and walked back out.
Smooth as a babies bottom, the bonus is as good as in the bank.

Regards.
LF.